Thursday, July 8, 2010

Outrages are not the only truth

By Rowan Pelling 338PM GMT twenty March 2010

Comments 4 |

The Chairman of the Orange Prize, Daisy Goodwin, has ploughed her approach by novels full of "grimness". She pronounced majority proposed with a rape and "If I review an additional supportive comment of a lady entrance to conditions with bereavement, I was going to cut my wrists." I sympathise. When I was a Man Booker decider there were countless novels about alcoholics and incest, and each alternative brave woman had red hair, though usually 4 per cent of the worlds race is of course Titian.

I dont think novel should abstain from lifes dim side, but the unhappy that comic novels so occasionally take prizes generally when the excellent comedies have the majority critical points, as Tom Stoppard and Michael Frayn obviously demonstrate. Certainly the novels I suggest to others are frequency miserabilist. Theres a criterion of what I call "books each mom should give her daughter", that I pass on to womanlike friends with a scandalised cackle of, "What do you mean, youve never review it?"

Age is a thing of the past The Turner Prize 2008 What, no controversy? Paul Dirac One of the biggest British minds of the 20th century Sony PSP Go to stand in as ebook reader Pokmania continues with Pokmon Platinum Julie Kavanagh My hold up with Martin Amis

On the shortlist are I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy, Love Lessons by Joan Wyndham, National Velvet by Enid Bagnold, Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson, The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark, and Northanger Abbey, the funniest of Jane Austens novels.