Friday, June 18, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010: Lost in a blizzard of Clare Balding

By Sarah Crompton Published: 5:52PM GMT 19 Feb 2010

Comments 10 | Comment on this article

I have been watching the Winter Olympics or I have been trying to, when the BBC will let me. If you tune into Eurosport, you get what you expect: endless hours of bespectacled skiers slogging across country or plunging downhill at impossible speeds on a small sledge.

If you tune into the BBC, you get... Clare Balding. I love and admire Clare Balding. But I don"t love her nearly as much as someone at the BBC seems to. When I tune in to the men"s luge, I want to watch the men"s luge. I don"t want to watch Clare at the luge track saying, "It"s snowing here." Then she"ll say "Let"s go to the crowds watching on the big screen downtown." No! Let"s not! Let"s go to a mountain where a thrilling race is unfolding. The BBC used to be masters of this. Now they are so obsessed with package, they have forgotten about the sport.

Women, wear your wrinkles with pride Clare Balding in remission from cancer Barbers Shop misses Cheltenham Festival prep race because of heavy ground BBC iPlayer choices - Monday 30 March Other TV Highlights: Wednesday 11 March Triathlon: pleasure and pain to the power of three